September 22 is the fall equinox (at 10:21 AM EST to be precise), marking the official beginning of fall in the northern hemisphere. Now that the weather is cooling, the leaves are changing, and school is in full swing, what are some fun and safe activities to do with the whole family in your spare time? Here are some of our suggestions, let us know your ideas in the comment section below!
- Visit your local fire station. Most stations will arrange tours for families, which can be especially fun for toddlers and younger elementary school aged children. Remember that fire stations are active workplaces, so make sure you call ahead to ask!
- Instead of going out and buying a Halloween costume this year, plan ahead and make your own! Go to the local craft or dollar store and stock up on a variety of supplies. Markers, pipe cleaners, cardboard, cotton balls, balloons, yarn and other basic craft items can go a long way!
- Collect vibrantly colored fallen leaves and acorns for art projects and center pieces. Here are some super cute craft projects to do with leaves and seeds – ranging from easy to more advanced.
- If there are enough of those leaves, make a big pile to jump in!
- Pull out some ingredients and get baking! There are lots of suggestions out there for easy baking recipes to try making with kids. Make sure you talk about safety around the stove and oven with your kids beforehand.
- There are a lot of great opportunities to check out local sports teams in the fall – and many of them don’t cost a dime! Try the local high school or nearby university’s football, soccer, or lacrosse teams, both men’s and women’s.
- Decorate your porch, window sills, or doorway with festive fall decor – gourds, pumpkins, leaves, dried corn and more!
- Find the nearest fall fair and head there for a day of family fun outside! Corn mazes, apple and pumpkin picking, face painting, live music, delicious food – most fall fairs have a wide variety of activities with something fun for every member of the family.
- Make sure you have RapidSOS Haven wherever you go, to keep your family safe and connected while you enjoy fall! And as an added bonus, download our Child Safety Kit full of helpful technology to keep kids of all ages safe!