Worried about your children’s safety? Whether you’re at home or on the go, here are some tips and tricks to keeping them out of harm’s way, even if you aren’t present.
- Teach kids not to open the front door. Make a list of exceptions, such as family or a regular babysitter. If you are home with them and they get to the door first, tell them that they should wait for you to open the door.
- Minimize risk of poisoning. Poisoning is the leading cause of death in the home – top culprits include medications, cleaning products, pesticides, and poisonous houseplants. Keep these items secure and stowed away!
- Teach kids what to do in case of fire. Also, have them learn how to call 911 in case of emergency. If they are injured or trapped indoors, show them ahead of time where the first aid kit is located in the home.
- Have your children memorize their home address and parents’/caretakers’ cellphone numbers. Should something happen at home, they will have an alternative to calling 911. If they get lost while outdoors, tell them to find a police or an adult who is also with a child.
- Teach your children to follow their gut! If something doesn’t feel right, they shouldn’t be afraid to act on it. It’s okay to address the situation and tell a trusted adult about anything that happened.
Your family’s safety is always top priority, and RapidSOS is here to help in the process. Be one step ahead of the game and get the app!