Only a few times in my career have I run across the great combination of a clear value proposition, an offering that can really make a difference in emergency response, and a team that can deliver the goods. That’s what I see in RapidSOS. I’m thrilled to now join the RapidSOS public safety team to help transform emergency response with life-saving technology.
Our Mission: Provide the Best Possible Tools to Public Safety
I spent decades leading efforts to develop better software for public safety agencies across the country, most recently as the head of Smart Public Safety Solutions with Motorola Solutions. 9-1-1 professionals provide assistance during our most difficult moments. Their jobs are exceptionally difficult as is – anything we can do to improve the information and tools that they use on a daily basis can have an impact on millions of emergencies.
I first worked with RapidSOS when I led the partnership with Motorola Solutions. This was before companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Uber had announced work with RapidSOS to help address the challenges facing the 9-1-1 system. I was inspired by the mission of the founder and CEO Michael Martin to provide life-saving data from connected devices to public safety agencies – at no cost to public safety.
I am excited to now help lead the public safety side of the business as VP of Public Safety Operations, ensuring agencies using RapidSOS technology have all the tools they need to leverage the platform to save lives.
Addressing the 9-1-1 Data Challenge
Since those early days working with the company, RapidSOS has made unprecedented progress in transforming emergency response. Along with other public safety technologists and 9-1-1 community leaders, I applauded the announcements that Google and Apple will work with RapidSOS to provide PSAPs with device location for 9-1-1 callers. I know I’m not the only one to consider this the biggest improvement to 9-1-1 infrastructure in its 50 years of existence.
RapidSOS now has a singular opportunity to address the 9-1-1 location challenge for several reasons.
- Device data: RapidSOS works with Apple and Google to provide fast, accurate location for 9-1-1 callers from iPhones and Androids. This means the RapidSOS Clearinghouse will provide data for millions of emergencies by the end of the year.
- NG911 momentum: Over 1,000 PSAPs have already integrated the RapidSOS Clearinghouse with their existing software dashboards, providing better emergency response for more than 100 million people across America. This is real traction happening now for a technology that people have talked about for decades.
- Seamless access: Every PSAP is different. RapidSOS works with more than 25 public safety technology partners to ensure PSAPs can integrate with the Clearinghouse in a way tailored to their existing software solutions. RapidSOS has also created RapidSOS Portal– a secure web-based tool – to provide immediate access to the Clearinghouse at no cost and no commitment for any agency nationwide.
- No cost: RapidSOS partners with Internet of Things companies to provide data to public safety agencies at no cost. This unique business model means that PSAPs do not need to wait for financial resources to get access and RapidSOS does not sell access to emergency data.
I look forward to working with the talented RapidSOS team to build on this momentum and expand access to the RapidSOS Clearinghouse to every PSAP nationwide. There are plenty of options to get connected with the RapidSOS team and learn how your PSAP can get access to the RapidSOS Clearinghouse.
- Our public safety team will be present at industry events around the country this fall. You can see the full list here.
- PSAP professionals can request a virtual or in-person consultation with a public safety team expert to learn the best way to integrate for your PSAP.
- Any PSAP can get started with no cost and zero commitment by signing up for RapidSOS Portal. You can claim your authorized PSAP account at RapidSOSPortal.com.