Telecommunicators inside the PSAP handle millions of 9-1-1 calls with little more than a voice connection. Accurate location information and additional data is available on devices, but the challenge for PSAPs is how to make this data available to call takers and dispatchers during the most critical moments of an emergency.
Our priority at RapidSOS is to provide 9-1-1 telecommunicators with the best possible tools to do their job. The RapidSOS Clearinghouse is a secure source for supplemental emergency data, sending life-saving information from connected devices directly to PSAPs. RapidSOS has announced work with Apple, Uber, and Waze to make 9-1-1 caller information available through the Clearinghouse.
Earlier this year, we announced RapidSOS Portal, a free, secure, web-based tool for PSAPs. RapidSOS Portal allows any PSAP to get access to data from the Clearinghouse today, with no commitment or cost. Authorized PSAP professionals can learn how to create an account and train telecommunicators here.
How to Integrate Data from the Clearinghouse with Your PSAP’s Software
Over 1,000 PSAPs across the country currently access supplemental data from the RapidSOS Clearinghouse through their existing call-taking, CAD, or mapping software. Data from the Clearinghouse is entirely supplemental and does not impact ALI information. RapidSOS has developed integrations with every major public safety software provider, so each PSAP can implement emergency data from the Clearinghouse using the best method for their agency.
Integrating data from the RapidSOS Clearinghouse with PSAP software allows telecommunicators to receive supplemental data directly in their existing dashboards and workflows. In addition to this streamlined process during vital, high-stress moments, the full integration with the Clearinghouse offers several unique benefits and features.
- Integrated workflow: With the full integration, information from the Clearinghouse appears as additional data in existing software windows – providing life-saving emergency data in the tools telecommunicators are already familiar with. This also allows telecommunicators to compare the ALI location with the location from the RapidSOS Clearinghouse as both are linked together in the same dashboard.
- Automatic querying: Location and additional data automatically populates in PSAP software windows when a call comes in from an enabled device, such as an iOS12 device or a call through the Uber app. This eliminates the potential for any human error in entering a caller phone number. With RapidSOS Portal, telecommunicators need to manually query caller location for every call.
- Internal documentation: Administrators will have a record of instances where additional data was available from RapidSOS along with the ALI location. This allows documentation for quality assurance after the fact.
- Plot multiple callers: PSAP software will display Clearinghouse location for multiple callers simultaneously. The software will also associate calls with emergencies, so call takers and dispatchers can tell whether a nearby call is an outlier from the same incident or a different emergency.
- Caller history: Telecommunicators can view locations received from previous 9-1-1 calls from the same device through the software integration. With RapidSOS Portal telecommunicators do not see a history of 9-1-1 calls initiated from the same caller.
Provided at No Cost to Public Safety
RapidSOS provides data through the RapidSOS Clearinghouse at no cost to public safety agencies – working with companies like Uber and Apple to do so. Depending on their current software, PSAPs may need to pay a fee to their software vendor to upgrade to a version that supports the integration with the RapidSOS Clearinghouse. With RapidSOS Portal, any PSAP in the country can access data from the Clearinghouse for free.
We look forward to working with you on the best integration method for your agency. Fill out this form to set up a free consultation with a member of our public safety team today.