Last Updated: September 14, 2020
What This Policy Covers
This Policy may be updated from time to time to reflect changes in RapidSOS’ operational practices or regulatory requirements. If we make any material changes, we will post an updated Policy to RapidSOS.com and provide you with notice via reasonable means, such as by emailing individuals who have registered with us and/or providing a notice on the RapidSOS website. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
RapidSOS collects personal information both in connection with providing Emergency-Related Services and from individuals who interact with us using Non-Emergency Channels. As explained in more detail below, RapidSOS’s personal information collection and usage practices differ depending on the source and nature of the information involved. RapidSOS recognizes the value of user privacy, particularly as it relates to the sensitive information we collect as a necessary part of providing Emergency-Related Services. We take the privacy of all user information seriously.
RapidSOS’ mission is to offer products and services that enhance emergency-related and emergency-preparedness-related communications between members of the public and Emergency Service Providers (like 911 providers or campus safety officials). We collect certain forms of personal information in connection with running our Emergency-Related Services. We only use the personal information that we collect in connection with our Emergency-Related Services for the limited purposes and for the limited time period described below. We do not sell this information.
Emergency-Related Services: How we collect personal information
The personal information that we collect through our Emergency-Related Services comes from several sources. If you have a RapidSOS account, we collect personal information from you when you provide it to us and when you use your RapidSOS account.
We may also receive information about you or your household directly from Emergency Service Providers, from Computer-Aided Dispatch System providers, and from other organizations that work with or assist Emergency Service Providers. We also collect this personal information from cell phones and other devices on which RapidSOS-powered software is installed and working (“Connected Devices”). If your Connected Device is used to call 911 or otherwise contact an Emergency Service Provider, RapidSOS may attempt to automatically transmit information from your device that may assist the Emergency Service Provider in directing appropriate and timely assistance to you. This process will involve our collection and temporary retention of personal information derived from Emergency-Related Services. Connected Devices are designed to automatically transmit personal information to RapidSOS only when that device is used to communicate with an Emergency Service Provider.
How might RapidSOS-powered software wind up on your device? RapidSOS provides Emergency-Related Services to application, platform, operating system, and software developers (our “Partners”) who build RapidSOS functionality into their applications, platforms, operating systems, or software in order to better help device users connect with Emergency Service Providers in an emergency. We provide Emergency-Related Services to our Partners pursuant to agreements strictly controlling our collection and use of personal information. RapidSOS may also offer Emergency-Related Services directly to members of the public through an application, platform, emergency-related web portal, software, or otherwise, and you may choose to download, install, or operate one of these services.
Emergency-Related Services: Categories of Personal Information
If your Connected Device is used to contact an Emergency Service Provider, we may collect the following categories of personal information associated with the device:
- Information that directly identifies the owner or customary user of the device, such as your name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Health information, medical information, and any other information that you have on your Connected Device and that you have indicated (through settings on your device, device accounts, or otherwise) should be shared with emergency responders.
- Precise geolocation of the Connected Device.
- Information about the Connected Device’s configuration, network, and internet connection, such as IP address(es), MAC address, other device ID (UDID), device type, operating system type and version, and client version.
We retain personal information collected from a Connected Device only for the brief period during which it might be of use to Emergency Service Providers, except in rare cases where we are legally required to retain the data for a longer period of time. Our systems are designed to automatically delete all information collected from a Connected Device within 12 hours of collection.
If you have a RapidSOS account, we may collect the following categories of personal information:
- Information that directly identifies you, such as your username, name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Information about your use of your RapidSOS account.
- Information about the device(s) used to access your RapidSOS account, including configuration, network, and internet connection, such as geolocation, IP address(es), MAC address, other device ID (UDID), device type, operating system type and version, and client version.
Emergency-Related Services: Use of personal information
We may use all of the categories of personal information that we collect in connection with our Emergency-Related Services to operate, maintain, enhance, support, and provide all features of our Emergency-Related Services, in connection with protecting our legal rights, and as otherwise required by law. For example, we use personal information to:
- Supplement the standard 9-1-1 system functionality with more accurate geo-location information.
- Transmit potentially life-saving health information.
- Authenticate and communicate with registered Emergency Service Providers who access our Emergency-Related Services.
- Conduct quality assurance and for research and development purposes, such as data security, improved website navigation and content display, fraud prevention, data analysis, audits, developing new products, producing predictive data models, improving our Emergency-Related Services, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our Emergency-Related Services.
We do not use personal information collected through Emergency-Related Services, including information collected from Emergency Service Providers, Computer-Aided Dispatch System providers, other organizations that work with or assist Emergency Service Providers, or Connected Devices, for research, advertising, or analytics purposes.
Emergency-Related Services: Sharing personal information
We may disclose all of the categories of personal information collected through Emergency-Related Services only as reasonably necessary to provide our Emergency-Related Services, protect our legal rights, and to comply with applicable law.
To these ends, we may disclose your personal information to the following categories of third parties:
- Emergency Service Providers. We share personal information with Emergency Service Providers in order to enhance emergency response, facilitate communication during an emergency, and facilitate emergency-preparedness-related communication.
- Our service providers. Our service providers may receive access to personal information as part of helping to offer our Services and operate RapidSOS. Our service providers are contractually required to keep this information confidential and secure and are prohibited from using this data for any purpose other than carrying out the services that they are performing for us.
- Entity related to corporate reorganization.We may disclose personal information in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
RapidSOS does not sell personal information collected through Emergency-Related Services.
Our general information website and other non-emergency products and services
RapidSOS also collects personal information from and about visitors to our general information website, RapidSOS.com, or any other website that we use for general information and marketing purposes, and not for the provision of any Emergency-Related Service (“Non-Emergency Site”), companies, individuals, and Emergency Service Personnel who have asked for information about partnering with, using, promoting, or otherwise interacting with RapidSOS services; and other individuals who interact with RapidSOS using means other than our Emergency-Related Services (collectively, “Non-Emergency Channels”). We collect personal information through Non-Emergency Channels using standard business and data collection techniques.
Non-Emergency Channels: How we collect personal information
We will collect personal information from or about you through Non-Emergency Channels if you actively give personal information to us in a non-emergency context (for example, if you sign up for our newsletter or ask us to send you information about RapidSOS). We may also automatically collect personal information from you or your device when you visit a Non-Emergency Site, interact with advertisements for RapidSOS services, or interact with non-emergency communications from or about RapidSOS.
You may decline to accept cookies by opting out via the banner notice displayed on our Non-Emergency Site (which you can also access using the button below), or by activating the setting on your web browser that allows you to disable cookies.
We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources and third-party databases.
We do not combine information that we collect through Non-Emergency Channels with information we collect in connection with our Emergency-Related Services.
Non-Emergency Channels: Categories of Personal Information
We may collect the following categories of personal information from you or about you through Non-Emergency Channels:
- Information that directly identifies you or your household, such as your name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Information about your device, network, and internet connection, such as your IP address(es), MAC address, other device ID (UDID), device type, operating system type and version, and client version.
- Information about your use of our Non-Emergency Site, such as the pages you most commonly visit.
- Information regarding your interaction with email messages or other communications regarding RapidSOS,such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
- Your business or employment information
- Your geolocation, if you have enabled sharing from your device
- Other personal information, including inferences that can be drawn from the foregoing
Non-Emergency Channels: Use of personal information
We may use all of the categories of personal information that we collect through Non-Emergency Channels to operate, maintain, enhance, support, and provide our website, marketing and advertising for services offered by RapidSOS or our affiliates, in connection with protecting our legal rights, for research and analytics purposes, and as otherwise required by law.
Non-Emergency Channels: Sharing and sale of personal information
We may disclose all of the categories of personal information listed above to our service providers and third parties for the purposes of running our business and offering our Non-Emergency Site and any non-emergency services.
RapidSOS does not “sell” any personal information in the traditional sense. However, we do allow certain third-party partners and providers to collect information about visitors to our Non-Emergency Site for purposes of analyzing and optimizing our services, delivering ads, providing content and ads that are more relevant, measuring statistics and the success of ad campaigns, and detecting and reporting fraud. To the extent this practice is interpreted to constitute a “sale” of personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act or any equivalent data protection law, you have the right to opt-out of such sharing at any time. You may do so by declining to accept cookies by opting out via the banner notice displayed on our Non-Emergency Site (which you can also access using the button below), or by activating the setting on your web browser that allows you to disable cookies.
RapidSOS will not engage in any discriminatory or retaliatory action against you if you choose to opt out of such sharing. We do not allow third parties to gather personal information from our Emergency-Related Services for analytics or advertising purposes.
Third-Party Links and Services
Your choices and your legal rights
We do our best to offer individuals with choices and control over their own personal information. You may ask us for:
- More information about RapidSOS’ processing of your personal information during the previous 12 months. Your request can include:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collected from you in a machine-readable format,
- why we collected that information,
- the categories of third parties from which we received personal information about you, and/or
- the categories of third parties with whom we shared that information.
Note that we are unable to comply with access requests where we cannot verify your identity; compliance with your request is not legally required and would involve disproportionate cost, effort, or impact on the privacy of others; or we have not preserved the relevant personal information, as will largely be the case with respect to personal information collected through Emergency-Related Services.
- Deletion of some or all of your personal information from our systems.
Please be aware that, under certain circumstances, we will not be able to fulfill your request, such as if it prevents us from completing a transaction you initiated, interferes with our regulatory obligations, affects legal matters including a user’s rights to data contained in their account, or compliance with your request is not legally required and would involve disproportionate cost or effort.
- Opt out of certain data sharing practices.
As described above, we allow certain third parties to collect information from visitors to our Non-Emergency Site using cookies or similar technologies. You may limit or disable such collection by using the button below.
You can make a request related to your personal information by emailing email@example.com or writing to RapidSOS, Inc., Attn: Privacy, 3 Park Ave., Flr 22, New York, NY 10016. We will not discriminate against anyone who makes such a request.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important to us. Our Non-Emergency Site is a general audience site not directed to children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 without parental consent. If you are under 16 years of age, then please do not use or access RapidSOS products or services at any time or in any manner. If we learn that personal information has been collected on the Service from persons under 16 years of age and without parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 16 years of age has obtained an account on the Service, then you may alert us at privacy@RapidSOS.com and request that we delete that child’s personal information from our systems.
We will retain your data for as long as needed for the purposes described in this Policy and in accordance with applicable law. As mentioned above, except in rare circumstances, all personal information that we collect through our Emergency-Related Services is automatically deleted from our systems twelve hours after the Connected Device was used to contact an Emergency Services Provider.
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your personal information, our use and disclosure practices, or your choices by email at privacy@RapidSOS.com.
3 Park Ave., Flr 22
New York, NY 10016