Speak out for safety
Matching volunteers with members of the media
Speak Out for Safety connects the press with Haven users who have volunteered to share their personal stories
of using Haven during an emergency. Each volunteer has experienced using Haven to reach 9-1-1. Many volunteers have been through an experience that may be difficult to recount, and we thank them for their bravery in speaking with the press.
If you are a member of the media, please send your request to connect with a Speak Out for Safety volunteer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your deadline and any other requirements for your story.
Speak out for Safety is part of RapidSOS’ guiding purpose to make the world a safer place by ensuring that Haven is in the pocket of everyone who needs it. To fulfill this mission, RapidSOS founded the Safer Together Movement.
Who are the volunteers?
- Speak Out for Safety volunteers are individuals who have used Haven during an emergency and want to share their experience. The volunteers are not spokespersons or employees of RapidSOS.
How does RapidSOS connect journalists/media outlets with speakers/volunteers?
- RapidSOS is building a database of individuals who have volunteered to speak with journalists about their experiences. When you request an interview with a Speak Out for Safety volunteer, please indicate if there are details that you are specifically looking for: type of emergency (e.g. crime, fire, medical, domestic violence, sexual violence, car crash), gender, age, geographic location, disability, etc. This will help us determine the best volunteer for your needs. Once we’ve reached out to the volunteer to see if they are open to speaking with you, we will provide your contact information to the volunteer so you can then communicate directly with the volunteer to figure out the particulars of the interview/appearance. You must confirm with that person directly that they are willing to be quoted/recorded/taped. Please note: Speak Out for Safety are not RapidSOS employees and do not represent the company’s official views or opinions.
Is there a cost?
- No, there is no cost associated with the Speak Out for Safety program. It does not cost anything to interview a volunteer, nor are the volunteers compensated for sharing their story.
Are these individuals experts in the 9-1-1/technology/safety fields?
- No, Speak Out for Safety volunteers are individuals who have used Haven during an emergency. They are sharing their own personal experiences. If you would like to speak to a member of our 9-1-1 Advisory Board or Medical Advisory Board, please state your request by emailing us at email@example.com.
Who can become a volunteer?
- Anyone who has used Haven during an emergency can become a Speak Out for Safety volunteer.
How do I become a volunteer?
- If you would like to become a Speak Out for Safety volunteer please fill out this form. If you are a good fit for a reporter’s story, we will reach out to you and see if you are interested and available to speak. If you are, we will connect you to the member of the media and you will coordinate the particulars of the interview/recording/taping. You are never required to share your story and you can always change your mind during the process.
Am I guaranteed to be featured in a story?
- Due to the volume of volunteers, not everyone is guaranteed to be interviewed/recorded. However, we are always looking for people to help spread the word about Haven.
If I am chosen for a story, do I have to respond to the request?
- You are never required to share your story and you can always change your mind during the process. Keeping our volunteers comfortable is our utmost concern.